When last we left our heroine, she was going to Spin class on Tuesday morning, because it was taught by an instructor she really liked.( Read more... )
10 Things I've Learned at the Gym
- Always have a water bottle for cardio.
- Bring all of your gym gear even if you don't think you'll need it all for a specific workout. Otherwise, you will think your bag is fully packed because you packed it last time, but it's not.
- When lifting something, your elbow should be a little bit bent and your wrist straight.
- Have a snack in your gym bag. Workouts make you hungry. (I really like having a sesame snack after a workout - that gives me the juice I need to get home and get actual food.)
- Grocery shopping after working out works really well. My body is generally being loud about what it wants - craving healthy foods that are high in protein and vitamins.
- When you leave things in a gym bag, they get smelly. Take clothes out ASAP. Also, flip flops need time to dry out after use.
- If you need something you don't have, ask a staff person. Yesterday one got me a resistor ball, when they were mostly all being used by classes. Last week one got me a hair tie when I'd forgotten mine.
- Mix it up. Try something new. Variety is the spice of fitness (and life). Continuing to do this has meant that I have tried a ton of new things, AND that my standard for classes I like enough to take every week is just going up and up. If I had stuck with the first few classes I tried, I would never have found some of my favorites.
- Locker room etiquette is confusing. Sometimes I start a conversation with someone and it goes great. Other times the person acts weird about it. It generally seems safe to compliment people on their clothing, though. I like it good when someone else starts the conversation. Either way, it almost never seems to progress to sharing names.
- I love the gym. I love working out. And that is something I would never have expected.